Most of this stuff is from Nokia and specifically S60 related but there’s lots of good information regardless of the O/S or platform you’re developing for.
- Usability Culturally Speaking: Short paper by Nokia introducing common issues such as differences in text direction, colour usage, iconography, number and date conventions etc.
- Series 60 UI Style Guide: Just what it sounds like
- Series 60 Usability Guidelines for J2ME Games: This is a really useful document. Many issues addressed will be useful to not only Flash Lite developers but creators of small advertising or content based application. Also includes sections on game experience and gameplay.
- Turn Limitations into Strengths: Design one Button Games: Another good one for Flash Lite developers. Short but useful article with reference to an old Gamasutra article/tutorial and a great quote by Noah Falstein “When you find yourself constrained by a difficult circumstance or combination of limitations in design, look for a solution that turns those very limitations into a fun solution. Try to make the limitations work in your favor, not against you.”
- User Experience Checklist for J2ME Applications: Once again, good reference for everyone with headings to indicate which checklist items apply best to which OS or type of application (ie. games etc.) Lots of good stuff including handy tips like “Application has been tested with actual end-users, not just in-house developers, The user is not forced to guess the right format for information and Obscenity or foul language is not used.” LOL!
- Designing XHTML MP Content: From Nokia again. Includes a checklist of “top guidelines for optimizing mobile XHTML services” as well as details on each XHTML MP element. Found through the W3C Mobile Web Best Pactices reference section.
- Browsing on Mobile Phones: Short paper from Nokia discussing usability as it relates to mobile web content and the Opera-style single column layout.
And just for fun, the Series 60 Themes Illustrator Sketching Templates. Great idea thisâ€”an Adobe Illustrator file including real vector S60 UI layouts and menu elements. Great vector artwork. Very handy for mockups!
BTW-Most of these were found on Forum Nokia.